Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rantwick, now with Style!

When you read articles on starting any type of cycling, many of them seem to include a great many "must haves" like special clothing, gloves, shoes and so on. Now everybody knows (or should know) that all you really need is a bicycle in good working order and clothes in which you won't freeze or overheat. As people become more advanced cyclists and ride farther and faster and exert themselves more, some bike-specific clothing becomes more important or convenient. I don't want to advise anybody on what they should wear beyond the fact that it shouldn't be capable of getting caught up in your bike or obstruct your vision.


When anyone rides enough that their clothes start to cause discomfort, I'm guessing they'll look into alternatives for themselves. Practical matters like comfort, however, aren't the whole story. For some, cycling is an opportunity to show some Style. I've begun wondering what it would be like to have Style, since I haven't ever had the inclination. Maybe it feels fantastic! Not having the money to buy a bunch of different cycling getups, I thought that through the wonders of photoshop I could try out virtual Style to see if I would like it. So, without further delay:




Although the "townie" bike appeals to me in that it has full fenders, the requisite little dogs pose a problem, as do red pants. You see, I'm allergic to dog dander, and I'm guessing riding along creating a breeze would turn those nice little dogs into mobile dander dispensers. That same breeze may well blow their black fur onto my red pants, and I'm sorry, but that simply wouldn't do. Maybe something similar, but more traditonal...


Again, lovin' the fenders. Socks that look much like cable-knit sweaters and a hat that would definitely blow off my head at the crazy speeds at which I ride, however, make this look a no-go. Speaking of speed, maybe I should go full roadie skin suit...






I must confess, I love the way this suit compliments my skin tones... Mmmm. Sadly, sporting a suit like this would just make my beautiful commuter look infinitely stupid, instead of annoyingly geeky and practical. You know, maybe I should just try to show a little more flair!



Not having ever applied makeup, it made me squint like that, sorry. Overall, though, if I'm going to dress to look good rather than to ride, this one appeals to me more than the others. Does that mean I secretly wish to be a fashionable, bike riding woman? Of course not! Shame on you for thinking it... I am as athletic and manly as they come, I'll have you know.


Virtual Style didn't really end up doing much for me. Ah well, nothing was ventured, and so, I suppose, nothing was gained. I'm dreadfully sorry to have wasted your time... I shall endeavour to do much better in future.


Until Then, Wear What You Want. I Do...


Yer Pal,



R A N T W I C K

5 comments:

Crank said...

As is so often the case in life, learn as you go. I have been from a five year old in jeans and converse sneakers in the early 60's, late 70's team rider for Del Mar Bikes (San Diego), to the proud owner of a Rivendell Atlantis at the age of 48. Stinkbug butt in the air, spandex clad racer elitist snob to blue jean wearing, wool jacket grocery getter. All my life, there has been a bike. It boils down to one thing, RIDE. Dont get caught up in fads, appreciate carbon fiber jockies as well as the steel is real crowd. We are all making the choice to forgo an automobile. Rabble rabble rabble, spew, rabble rabble!

Rollz said...

You have a great sense of color in the way you match your beret with your fenders.

RANTWICK said...

Crank - rabble on, man, I think you've got it right. Just ride, and don't get hung up on "should's"; there aren't any!


Rollz - why thank you! I didn't think anyone would notice!

'Xander Labayen said...

great post...

i'm so with you when it comes to the wear what you want when you ride theme...
sometime sweat pants or spandex is perfect for the right occasion...

however it never got me many dates..

keep up the great posts..

RANTWICK said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by and reading, and the compliment on the posts, X n D!

Post a Comment